Greetings

Welcome to my artistic endeavor. Angel is my name, but some people also just call me Megs. For more information or nifty eye candy, feel free to check out my gallery at: angelandthestickmen.deviantart.com

Saturday 10 August 2013

The Talus Dome - Edmonton


As I go out to experience our City, it’s difficult not to notice the shimmering mound off of the Quesnell Bridge.  On my way to the Zoo earlier this Summer I was able to take a closer look at this controversial $600 000 eye sore.  Up close, it’s easier to enjoy it, though I figured it wasn’t a well travelled area on foot.  So, I figured it’d be a good topic to investigate. 
The results were interesting. 
Vandalism
Twitter Abuse
General Hatred
Alien Shit
Methinks there has to be worse things than alien pooh.  Though, I’ve found few reactions to this artwork more humorous.
I understand that it’s difficult to accept unfinished work – especially a public piece.  I’d be the first to criticize Edmonton for some of its choices, but a culturally stagnating city isn’t a good thing either.  Something is better than nothing on the artistic front.  Though seemingly contradictory, I’d like to clarify that, my last entry about 1-3 million dollars on a lit bridge seems to me to be less like art and more of a waste of money. 
With the Talus Dome, I’m not so convinced that it’s a useless drain of money on the developing Edmonton landscape.  However, I’m also not so convinced that the current $600 000 cost is justifiable – especially being unfinished.  The Talus Dome came into existence in 2011, and on February 21, 2012, John Mahon was quoted to say, “Let us finish it, and let it sit there before you decide it should be moved. I’d ask people for a year or a little bit more. It’s like a good stew. It’s got to settle.”  Typically, I would agree that new things take time to accept and enjoy, but it’s now August of 2013. 
If it’s indeed going to be finished, I would much like to view the finished product as opposed to at least 2 years of built up disdain.  We’re left with this lingering taste of disgust due to our misplaced anticipation of a completed monument.  To an outside viewer, the Talus Dome is still perceived as a poorly located shiny pile of balls rather than a representation of natural beauty as shaped by the river valley surrounding.
The level of thought placed into a piece of art work meaningful and befitting our City is clear.  Talus formations accumulate by collected sediment typically natural to river valleys – hence the placement in the river valley where natural Talus formations would exist.  Rather than being amidst more naturally occurring scenery, the structure is located just off of a highway – incidentally where many commuters with varying artistic backgrounds travel. 
It can’t help but be openly scrutinized as a result.
My concern is less with the appeal or location and more with the cost.  $600 000 is a hefty sum.  I was surprised to find no breakdown of where this money came from, so I did some poking around.  All of the below can be located online with a simple search of key terms.
The Talus Dome is comprised of 316L stainless steel from California.  316L indicates the grade of stainless steel used.  It’s among the highest durability and quality available, and it costs roughly $7000-$9000 in USD per ton.  I can’t find any details regarding the total mass of the dome.  So, identifying the cost of the materials isn’t possible without guesswork.  Though, with our harsh weather, the selected material is certainly ideal to battle against time.
Next, the construction began with a wood frame.  The balls were able to fall and form naturally before being welded into place.  At 30 feet high with no experience in metal working or wood framing, I can’t surmise the length of time needed to weld 900-1000 steel balls together or cost to construct a sturdy enough frame.
Remaining variables include the transportation of raw materials and the dome itself.  Without knowing where the items began, again, difficult to estimate.
My last variable – my primary curiosity - was the fee for the artist.
I have a theory on these things regarding transparency.  If people understand exactly where their tax money goes, in a way that they’re able to justify an expense, than it’s easier to accept.  Typically though, people aren’t that interested in the flow of money. 
The Talus Dome is identifiable and shiny – an easy target.
As many of us learned in school, it is easy to pick out the unique people.  It's not easy to see the effect they will have on the world.  I could say the same for the Talus Dome. 
Though, someone else could say the same for a lit up bridge too.
 
Sincerely,
Angel and the Stickmen

No comments:

Post a Comment