Greetings

Welcome to my artistic endeavor. Angel is my name, but some people also just call me Megs. For more information or nifty eye candy, feel free to check out my gallery at: angelandthestickmen.deviantart.com

Thursday 11 July 2013

Nice to Meet You - I'm Angel

Hello there traveler, my name is Angel, and this is my little quirky corner of the universe. My project is called Angel and the Stickmen, which makes no sense in passing. Allow me to tell you a little story about my beginnings and the development of this project.

 

I spent a lot of time thinking in school. It wasn't about my work or anything clearly constructive at the time. I wondered more about why my classmates did things that they did, and I wondered about how time changes things. It was during this time that I began to draw.

 
Previously, I always refused because I felt inadequate and unskilled. In effect, art was torture for me, and it actually landed me in a detention. I was asked to create a ghost for the Halloween decorations, and he came out quite scary. I thought I was following instructions, but it turned out that I was wrong.
 

At first, I wasn't aware of these things I drew, because the world around me was a swirling void that made no sense. I observed, and my hand worked, but little else mattered to me.
 

Then something happened. I received a worksheet back in my English class. The margins had all been doodled, and on the side there was a little happy face and a grade. My teacher was marking my doodles! 
 

She was an interesting woman to be certain. Incidentally, her favorite word was ‘pickle.’
 

I found out a few things during that year. The first revelation was that I could draw. The second was that my English teacher couldn't draw. Being somewhat naive, I thought I could teach her. She humored me for some time as I learned about 3D images and proportions. In the end one thing stuck with me, "I can't even draw a Stickman."

 

Usually people say that to me when they see what I've done. They'll muse about another world in which they could create such fanciful things. I never knew how to respond. Even looking back at that first time with my English teacher, I still don't know what to say. It's not so much that they couldn't draw a stickman if they wanted to. Such a basic image represents something much larger to them. It's their symbol of something they can't attain - even though I once told myself the same thing. 
 

I don't understand, because I used to think I couldn't draw.
 

Having reviewed this notion, I’ve reconsidered my past experiences. Hidden in all of my recent work you will find a Stickman. I merge simple ideas into my work for the others they won’t draw, and to remind myself that I once shared their perceptions on drawing.

 
You might be saying to yourself that this explains Stickmen, but where does Angel fit in? My last name translates to Angel in English. So, Angel and the Stickmen refers to the underlying idea and I.

 

 

Sincerely,

Angel and the Stickmen

No comments:

Post a Comment