Greetings

Welcome to my artistic endeavor. Angel is my name, but some people also just call me Megs. For more information or nifty eye candy, feel free to check out my gallery at: angelandthestickmen.deviantart.com

Tuesday 23 July 2013

Graffiti vs Art


I imagine that some of you just cringed while others had a little party in their head. The vast majority, I theorize, don’t care about things that don’t affect them. For most people I encounter, graffiti isn’t a tangible part of their lives. However, people with and without experience on a topic create opinions nonetheless. This phenomenon always intrigued me, and now I’m finding that it’s everywhere.
 
Graffiti is a recent phenomenon in our modern sophisticated society in which people write or draw on public surfaces.  Most consider this an illegal activity, and I don't necessarily disagree.  However, making something illegal doesn't disqualify certain other aspects.

The main area I’m interested in right now is the validity of graffiti as an art form.  To do so, we must first have a functional definition of art – which doesn’t exist.  Everyone has their own way of defining art, and some people have broader categories than others.  In short, if two sides of a debate don’t use words in the same way, than there’s next to no point in talking about it.  Since I’m not completely omniscient, I’ll use my definition.

Art = Self Expression

I touched on this in a previous entry.  Regardless of talent or capability of the artist, at its base elements, art is a form of self expression.  I don’t allow for things like tuition, degrees, careers, or a lack thereof to limit my perception.  Anyone who takes something out of their head for others to experience creates art.

Broad definitions aren’t always the best, mainly because they make people uncomfortable.  They allow for any possibility set in very general parameters.  In this world, we like categories.  I’m not so fond of them.

By my definition, graffiti is art. 

The person took something out of their head for others to experience.  I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a more creative take on spelling things – some would say creativity is a prerequisite to creating art.  Half the time I can’t tell if it’s a face or a name, because it’s just that neat to look at.

If I’m stuck behind a train, I’m hoping to see graffiti. 

Why? 

I’m bored out of my proverbial tree, because trains, in general, aren’t that interesting to look at while they’re blocking the road.  Most, at least here, are so rusted out that the original subject matter is faded or gone anyway.

However, we start getting into another aspect of the graffiti discussion.  The canvas for these artists tends to be the property of someone else, so this concept of legality comes into play.  Graffiti can also be used to vandalize.  These concepts don’t deter that it is art – it just validates that some members of our community have fewer boundaries and possibly more vendettas.

That is not anything new.

 

Sincerely,

Angel and the Stickmen

No comments:

Post a Comment